 |
| Local youth robot competitor |
This class has been wonderful for expanding my toolbox of Web 2.0 resources, however I have also struggled at times on how to implement them into my own professional experience. While I'm decently adept at using technology in my workshops (it's part of the whole STEM thing), I do not have a traditional teaching situation. When I work with students it is usually only for a few days and we're elbow deep in dissections, measuring *fake* blood spatter, or programming Lego robots, but never on the internet.
 |
| Student demonstrating potential video editing tech | | |
|
While I could see many amazing uses for these tools in a more standard classroom, I had to get creative when I thought about using them in my instruction. Not only is Mobius fairly low on budget, but we rarely have students for long. Because of this I focused on incorporating these into our week-long summer camps. One of our camps this summer will focus on light and sound. We decided that it would be fun for our middle school students to use a combination of synthesized sound and the instruments they'll build to create not only their own songs, but to develop mini music videos along with it that they can take home to show their friends and families. Utilizing webcams and programs like Screencast-o-matic, in addition to music tools like Incredibox, will allow students more creative control than they would have without the addition of technology. I can see us utilizing technology in ways similar to this in our future extended learning opportunities, if not our day to day instruction.
In the future I would love Mobius to become a hub of teacher professional development, for which we are taking small strides towards now. In that situation, video communication like Google Hangouts or Screencast-o-matic would be great for people who cannot make the trip to Spokane, or who would prefer to watch the videos afterwards. While my situation currently does not allow for the implementation of a lot of the tools we covered, I am significantly more aware of so many varied resources that I feel confident knowing I'll be able to find a tech tool to meet any upcoming issue.
this is such a great work Kellie. I too found hard to implement what i learned at first but for totally different reason that I'm not even remotely a teacher. but now I do find the tools and the overall topics very beneficial as a future mother. you on the other hand actually work with students and some of these tools are very interesting to use.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete